Institutional protection of nature has its origins as late as in the twentieth century, when after the First World War state bodies were separated and established in order to protect wildlife. They created the first nature reserves and in 1932 The National Park of Białowieża was created and in 1947 was transformed into The Białowieża National Park.
On the area of Sława Śląska Forest District in the interwar period he first attempts at conservation were undertaken. In 1934 the steppe reserve called "Windmühlenhügel" near the village of Łupice was created of less than 1 ha. Unfortunately, after the end of the Second World War no further attempt to protect the area was made. In the 80s of the last century the first areas of the protected landscape were created - Resolution No. VII / 49/85 WRN, Zielona Gora, 06.21.1985. In the meantime, more protected areas were established - reserves, ecological areas, and since 2007 parts of the Forest District were subject to the latest form of protection - NATURA 2000 network.